This feast took place outside of the Okefenokee, but the hawk was so cooperative it just begged to be posted on the Okefenokee blog…
Leaving my office in Walton County, Georgia, a Red-tailed Hawk was feasting upon an Eastern Gray Squirrel by the roadside. I pulled my truck closer and watched it tear apart its gruesome feast. And like a gift to me, it flew up to the top of a nearby utility pole and finished its meal in the golden glow of the setting sun, allowing some beautiful photography and video.
- Walton County, Georgia
- Sunny, with a high near 61.
- Sunrise 7:36 am; Sunset 5:31 pm
- Daylight Hours: 9 hours, 55 minutes (+2s)
- Moon: 57.7% Waxing Gibbous
- iNaturalist observation: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/66965443